The Challenge5502 followers
A WordPress for Every Civic League (Where I Live)Let's give civic & community leagues the tools they need to be effective online. Let's stop trying to lure people to niche technologies & closed networks. We want to give civic & community leagues a shiny new WordPress & show them how to use it.
- Bootstrap community groups, civic leagues, PTAs and recreation leagues with web sites built from an off-the-shelf content management system
- Teach league members technical and operational proficiency
- Measure and report on tech “stickiness” as well as changes in membership and engagement after one year.
They all have websites but they are ad-hoc experiences at best. As a result, civic leagues operate according to a bygone era. The gap in technology is reflective of an overall decline in resiliency from an aging population. Leagues are not equipped to operate in a digital world and if they’re not equipped to operate in a digital world they won’t survive. We think the institutions are worth saving and deserve help. Many recognize the dilemma, too. Some companies and not-for-profit organizations see the problem and try to fix it with a new social network and branded experience designed specifically to address the problem in one fell swoop. These approaches come and go without progress because they are chasing a business model when all that is needed is to teach leagues to exploit what is readily available to them. Civic leagues, community associations, PTAs and the like need a modern approach to online content and communications
- Web site traffic increased
- Subscriptions increased
- Members’ communications increased
- Attendance at meetings increased
- Volunteer participation increased
- Interactions with local government increased
- Number of unique authors
- Number of posts
- Number of posts per member
- Give civic and community leagues a templated WordPress populated with their existing content
- Teach league members how to use their WordPress.
A WordPress web site will provide every conceivable capability that a modern civic league might need. It is a simple remedy and it has the added benefit of recruiting and training new civic leaders. The WordPress creates an opportunity for civic engagement that appeals to younger people. A WordPress will still require a technical person on the Board of Directors to maintain the web site, just as the requirement exists today for leagues that have web sites. A modern capability will attract younger, more technical people to fill that responsibility. These new members will rise to leadership position in their organizations. The online and network effects will build stronger organizations.
Success: a majority of websites are sustained with little to no intervention from us after the WordPress sites are delivered and the test period expires.
What is your project? [1 sentence max]
Where are you located?
How did you hear about the contest?
- OpenGov group or listserve